Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Saos
Long time nixers
I passed my certification test on Monday and I'm excited.

Just thought I would post about it because I don't think I know anyone else who understands what it is/might care.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Congratulations :)
scapegoat
Members
Congrats! What was the exam like?
Saos
Long time nixers
Thanks! Every question was situational. There were simulations of changing server/firewall configurations, all sorts of attacks, etc. I wasn't able to breeze through like I thought I would be.
Gen
Long time nixers
That's amazing, congratulations! What do you plan to use it with? Or apply it? Or is it more for the educational purpose?
Saos
Long time nixers
It's required for my job, and they pay for it. So that's why I got it initially. I do some sysadmin work. From here I'll probably go for CEH, Linux+, or something in that area.
srp
Long time nixers
Congrats!

I'll be going for my A+, Network+, and Security+ for the next 2 years.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
Saos
Long time nixers
I don't have A+ or Network+. I don't feel like I would need them for anything other than proof of my knowledge on paper. They're considered less advanced than Sec+ so...
Derby
Long time nixers
I would not recommend CEH, it is a lot of money for something you don't get much out of and it doesn't look that good on your CV. I am CEH myself and that is only because I got it for free.

I'd look at going for OSCP as you will learn much more from it and it is a much higher regarded qualification, be warned though it's quite difficult but if you can motivate yourself to do some pre-reading and gain background knowledge you'll be much better off than with CEH.
Saos
Long time nixers
I figured CEH wouldn't be sufficient for much. I'm only going to get it because my job pays for it, just like Sec+.
Derby
Long time nixers
If it's free then I'd say go for it, easy to breeze through and an extra cert under your belt.
Saos
Long time nixers
OSCP looks intense as hell.
Derby
Long time nixers
Apparently so, I've yet to had the time to start it yet but I'm really excited! Less than a month until I buy my lab time.
Saos
Long time nixers
Maybe in the far off future. Depends how deep I want to go with it. If CEH doesn't satisfy me, I'll consider it.
For now, I'm probably just going to get as many easy certs as I can for my resume's sake.
hades
Long time nixers
As part of AIT, I'll be doing Security+ in a few months. Apparently, the "instructor" who teaches the course here just gives you the book and has you sit there quietly for 8 hours of class every day and read. A lot of students apparently fail it under him because they don't read the book because they're not being forced to do it, and they have no self-discipline.
Saos
Long time nixers
No practice tests or virtual labs? That's like reading a programming book and expecting to be a developer when you finish.
hades
Long time nixers
Apparently the book we're assigned has a few practice tests, and a CD comes with it that might have some virtual labs. From what everyone's been telling me, it's a "Go do it yourself or fail the exam" type of course.
Saos
Long time nixers
Sounds like something similar to one of the things I used. It had practice stuff in it. Free online practice tests help a ton because you run into things that you haven't covered yet. Also, have a good understanding of IPsec in regards to the OSI model.

And ports, of course. I would have failed without memorizing those.
xero
Long time nixers
congrats!
i got A+ and N+ at college. but SEC+ and NIX+ are still on my list.
sodaphish
Long time nixers
CISSP, CCNP, MASE, ASE, ACE, etc... as a consultant, I'm obliged to get a *LOT* of certs.