Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
maksim
Members
Hello, I'm Maksim and yeah this is yet another self-introduction thread.
I was searching for something about Intel ME and found Venam's Blog, decided to check the base domain and then realized it's a forum. I browsed it for a bit and really liked all the nice threads that are there. Later, when I finally got my hands on self-hosting an email server, I decided to join the forum. Venam assisted me in making an account without using ReCAPTCHA, and I finally became a member of Nixers.
I mainly self-host things on old laptops running Proxmox. My website is not yet finished, but if you wish, you can visit it by going to https://wherelinux.xyz.
ckester
Nixers
Welcome, and thanks for keeping those old laptops out of the landfill! I only use old machines myself -- some would say they're obsolete, but Linux or one of the BSDs gives them a new life. Kinda like giving an old, unwanted dog a new "forever home".
venam
Administrators
Hello there!
Welcome to nixers.

(04-09-2022, 01:15 PM)ckester Wrote: Welcome, and thanks for keeping those old laptops out of the landfill!
If I remember there was a thread about the oldest hardware we own.
https://nixers.net/Thread-What-s-your-ol...till-alive

I still think my laptop is new and it's from 2012, meanwhile lots of people think laptops older than 3 years are meant for scrapyard.

All and all, welcome maksim!
maksim
Members
Quote:I still think my laptop is new and it's from 2012, meanwhile lots of people think laptops older than 3 years are meant for scrapyard.

The oldest laptop that I think is still viable is a Thinkpad T60. It's a bit older than Core 2 Duo era. The laptops running Proxmox are actually somewhat new, it's just that they are no longer used for daily driving :)
I actually would've happily used some old machine like an old Thinkpad with Libreboot if I had one.
nrmc
Registered
Hi nixers,

this is nrmc, formally known as Neuromatic. I’m a nixers/iotek member back since unixhub days.

My last 10 years were troubling.. Fuck off - How you doin‘ fam?
jkl
Long time nixers
Ahoy nrmc, life still exists.
Kohaku
Members
Hello, nixers! I'm Kohaku.

Mostly, my interests include system administration, security and privacy, and a little bit of design. Currently trying to learn more about Plan 9.

I'm happy to join this wonderful community.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome, Kohaku!
r1w1s1
Members
Hello, nixers! I'm r1w1s1 (Ricardson)

I'm working with Linux the last 20 years :) (getting old) my interesting in Linux and BSD Servers, using Slackware as desktop and run some servers also I also like OpenBSD, happy to found nixers forum.

Cheers,
venam
Administrators
Hello r1w1s1,
Welcome to nixers!

(13-06-2024, 04:30 PM)r1w1s1 Wrote: (getting old)
Aren't we all.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers, r1w1s1! Do you mean BDSM servers? :D

(No, we are not all! Right? RIGHT?)
r1w1s1
Members
(16-06-2024, 05:05 PM)jkl Wrote: Welcome to nixers, r1w1s1! Do you mean BDSM servers? :D

(No, we are not all! Right? RIGHT?)
:) rsrs
jkl
Long time nixers
Now he fixed the typo and my comment looks weird. Boo!
acg
Members
Welcome r1w1s1, please don't be frightened by comments like jkl's :D.
jkl
Long time nixers
Please be VERY frightened!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
ckester
Nixers
(16-06-2024, 05:05 PM)jkl Wrote: (No, we are not all! Right? RIGHT?)

Like most Boomers, I'm in denial.