Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Hi nixers !

Here is an idea I had : weekly contests !

What about giving people challenges about UNIX, and give them a whole week to solve it, however they want. One they found their solution, they post it in a [spoiler] tag, and at the end of the week, the community vote for the best solution (You can't vote for your own solution obviously)

I don't know if we can turn a normal thread into a poll after it was posted, but the implementation doesn't matter ATM, just tell us if you'd be interresting in such a thing !

For example, here are some contest ideas (if you have more, share it !)
  • Write a script to tidy a directory (put files named "20140819-marakech-0001.JPG" into "pictures/2014/08/marakech/0001.JPG", etc...)
  • Find a way to download youtube videos by providing the search terms only
  • Explain what a kernel is to a 5 yo child
  • Get the fastest boot time, from pressing "power" to your first terminal window (needs video)
  • Get the lowest RAM usage (scrot/picture as a proof)
  • Get your computer to tell you events ("You have a new mail", "critical CPU usage", "Battery under 5%", ...) instead of using a status bar

Who's in ?
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
venam
Administrators
Very interesting.
They have a lot of those on unix.com. It kinda look like your "programming challenge" but related to unix only.
jolia
Long time nixers
I just wanna say: "FUCK YEAH"!

It's a great idea. I'm in!
shtols
Long time nixers
^

Even though I have very little time.
hades
Long time nixers
That sounds like an awesome idea! count me in!
delucks
Members
I'm in!
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Sounds cool. Count me in.
my website: kaashif.co.uk
cjm
Long time nixers
Im in. :)
----
blog: c-jm.github.io
twitter: https://www.twitter.com/_c_jm
My ambition in life is to be a graybeard by the time I am 65.
----
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I guess we're enough to start a contest next week then :)

Do you have some idea ? Or you can choose from the ideas I had. We're not too much yet, so I guess we can all settle on the theme of the first contest.

I personnally find the RAM one funny as a start. We could name it "The milkiest way"
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
I agree. I think I have a good shot at winning, too, because I have the bare minimum RAM it's posible to run a usable OS on - 32 MB. Although I did get FreeDOS to run on 8 MB, but that's not*nix...

I support the lowest RAM contest. Maybe we should put some minimum requirements on it, though, like you need to have a web browser open, text editor or similar. If you don't, you'll just get people who kill every process other than init and their shell and win easily.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
You're probably advantaged here, for sure. But be careful, you could be surprised ;)
That's a good point though. We leave users the choice of their programs, but some are mandatory. Let's say...
  • Web browser
  • Text editor
  • IRC client
  • Music player

Is everybody ok with this list ? (And this contest)
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
Is there going to be a prize?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
No. At least, I can't give a prize to somebody. If anyone wants to give something, it's up to them
shtols
Long time nixers
Bragging rights.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers

You could always download more ram to not use as a prize. Are we going to put this RAM contest in its own thread?
◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈
https://neeasade.net
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Once at least 5 people agree on the subject of this contest :-)
pizzaroll1
Long time nixers
Well, I'm OK with it.
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
I'm OK with it. Not sure how I'll do though.