Unix screen-shots thread! - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 30 Guest(s)
pfr
Nixers
(11-03-2021, 10:01 AM)phillbush Wrote: I added some features to shod, like 3D borders

Love these 3d boarders! This will make it easier to grab window boarders with the mouse too. I don't suppose you can add a bit of invisible grab area. Basically if you have 1px boarders, can the actual grab area for the cursor be double that of the boarder, or at least add an extra pixel of grab area either side of the boarder?

Shod is looking super cool man. I wonder if you can package it as a whole suite that includes all of your other tools (pimenu, xprompt, xnotify etc). You have basically created your own desktop environment here. Great work!

I' going to kindly ask Pin (who also packaged xnotify for pkgsrc) to do the same for shod.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
seninha
Long time nixers
(11-03-2021, 07:36 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: You have basically created your own desktop environment here. Great work!
Thanks.
I really want create some kind of desktop environment. That's why I want to fork sxiv to make it into a file manager. There are other stuff on the back of my mind that I want to write as well.

(11-03-2021, 07:36 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: I' going to kindly ask Pin (who also packaged xnotify for pkgsrc) to do the same for shod.
That would be great for the other tools, but I don't think he should package shod.
It is very experimental, and I am always changing it and experimenting new stuff.
pfr
Nixers
(11-03-2021, 08:02 PM)phillbush Wrote: That would be great for the other tools, but I don't think he should package shod.
It is very experimental, and I am always changing it and experimenting new stuff.

Fair enough. But I am keen to see how this project develops and will love to try it out once you think its ready to be set free :)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
seninha
Long time nixers
Yet another update of my desktop.
Now I can tile shaded tabbed windows.
I'm using awk to parse the output of lsc and send the output to wmctrl to change the window focus.
[Image: scrot.png]
pfr
Nixers
(26-03-2021, 09:14 AM)phillbush Wrote: Yet another update of my desktop.
Now I can tile shaded tabbed windows.
I'm using awk to parse the output of lsc and send the output to wmctrl to change the window focus.

This is actually fucking cool, I don't know any other WM that can do this!

Also, it would appear that, even after telling Pin what you said (not to bother packaging Shod just yet) he's made it available in pkgsrc/wip which is awesome for me because it means I can build and test it on NetBSD without needing to worry about compatibility issues (although I should probably learn the ropes anyway).

Loving every new development Phillbush, keep em coming! )
seninha
Long time nixers
(29-03-2021, 01:54 AM)Ramiferous Wrote: Also, it would appear that, even after telling Pin what you said (not to bother packaging Shod just yet) he's made it available in pkgsrc/wip which is awesome for me because it means I can build and test it on NetBSD without needing to worry about compatibility issues (although I should probably learn the ropes anyway).
If you have any problem using shod, just ask me.
It'd be great to have more than one person trying the wm, so bugs can be easily discovered.
Shod is still unstable in the sense that I am constantly adding and removing features as I test them.
pfr
Nixers
(29-03-2021, 09:46 AM)phillbush Wrote: It'd be great to have more than one person trying the wm, so bugs can be easily discovered.

I'm happy to test it. Although, I've had some repository issues (was pulling from a somewhat secret repo which has now been locked) so I need to wait for the next update on CURRENT before I start building any new toys.

Because it's in pkgsrc/wip I might try build it anyway, but if it has any dependencies that aren't already in pkgsrc I might run into trouble. That's not your problem though.
mcotocel
Members
Here's my desktop (several images of it, actually):

[Image: -tXB.png]

Details:

WM - Awesome
OS - Arch
Editor, IRC client, and feed reader - Emacs!
mcol
Nixers
(23-08-2021, 04:22 AM)_-_Specter_-_ Wrote: Here's my desktop (several images of it, actually):

cleeeeannn. Cool editing too - looks like your 4 screenshots are windows themselves. Is that how you make the image, or did you just edit them together?
mcotocel
Members
(23-08-2021, 06:41 AM)mcol Wrote:
(23-08-2021, 04:22 AM)_-_Specter_-_ Wrote: Here's my desktop (several images of it, actually):

cleeeeannn. Cool editing too - looks like your 4 screenshots are windows themselves. Is that how you make the image, or did you just edit them together?

I edited the separate screenshots together in GIMP.
mcol
Nixers
(23-08-2021, 07:02 AM)_-_Specter_-_ Wrote: I edited the separate screenshots together in GIMP.

cool cool - gonna have to do this myself for when i have multiple screens that i want to screenshot together.
seninha
Long time nixers
[Image: -3XI.png]

I rewrote shod from scratch, now it can tile windows inside floating containers, kinda like the acme text editor.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
yo @seninha, nice looking
n0mad
Registered
A quick attempt to start using colors on the desktop (I had everything on grayscale before)

[Image: -YNq.png]
seninha
Long time nixers
(24-09-2021, 11:31 AM)n0mad Wrote: I had everything on grayscale before
You can still have a grayscale X11 while using a color scheme!

I really like your font!
Which font is that?

Are those borders around the vim a terminal configuration or are you using goyo to center the text?

One thing I hate is how vim colors the .vimrc file. It's too much colorful!
Maybe that's a problem of vimscript syntax... a .vimrc is full of different types of keywords and strings and quoted/escaped stuff. So there's a lot of stuff that can be colored.
The same problem occurs on shell script: I open a shell script and I see a rainbow of colors on the terminal
n0mad
Registered
Oh, thanks for the hint on using Picom glx trick to make the screen grayscale!

The borders around Vim are from goyo plugin, yes. The colorscheme is a bit weird on .vimrc, but works fine for me in C/C++. It's named everforest.

(24-09-2021, 12:35 PM)seninha Wrote: Which font is that?
The font is a bitmap one named Tamsyn.
pfr
Nixers
(24-09-2021, 11:31 AM)n0mad Wrote: A quick attempt to start using colors on the desktop

I really like that palette. Looks comfy.

I'm still rocking the same light them (by jcs). Dont think I'll go back to dark but who knows, maybe oneday.

some of you might have seen this on reddit (check there for details). I was too lazy to take another shot.

[Image: 072tm5dbu9n71.png]
seninha
Long time nixers
I really don't know how you two distinguish which window is the focused one without a border to highlight it.
pfr
Nixers
(28-09-2021, 10:20 PM)seninha Wrote: I really don't know how you two distinguish which window is the focused one without a border to highlight it.

For me, borderless works for two reasons.

1. Sdorfehs is a manual tiler like ratpoisen so I generally know which frame I'm working in because I'm forced to manually move around via the keyboard. (yes this screenshot is deceiving, I have made a bunch of empty frames to add some space between windows for the sake of the screenshot).

2. The focused terminal is the one with the solid block cursor ;)
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
One related hack re: no borders is a darker shadow:
[Image: 2018-06-15.png]
seninha
Long time nixers
I tried a light theme for a day.
I kept it until I realize that I suck at picking colors.
[Image: 2021-11-01-light.png]
pfr
Nixers
(05-11-2021, 11:59 AM)seninha Wrote: I tried a light theme for a day.

I like it!
cyr4x3
Members
using xmonad with xmobar right now

[Image: u65dwx5dsc181.png]
[Image: 34incw5dsc181.png]
pfr
Nixers
I reckon mcol might like this one ;)

I am actually quite liking this color scheme. I've based it off the default Helix editor which I've been using recently.

[Image: purple.png]
VMS
Members
ctwm theme based on srcery colors.

[Image: srcery-ctwm-comb.png]
VMS
Members
(23-11-2021, 10:37 AM)cyr4x3 Wrote: using xmonad with xmobar right now

I really love this colorscheme, well done!

In the meantime, here's a new dark/cyan fvwm theme for my Slackware box:

[Image: darkstar-comb.png]
seninha
Long time nixers
(25-03-2022, 09:53 AM)VMS Wrote: In the meantime, here's a new dark/cyan fvwm theme for my Slackware box:
I love your desktop. Very consistent and beautiful.
FVWM is my favorite wm, I like it even more than my own wm.
Most of the utilities I wrote mimic a fvwm's feature.
Btw, what is the name of the application (which I suppose to be a RSS reader) in the top-left of your screenshot?

Here's a screenshot I took today, featuring my last creation: paginator, a desktop pager. In the scrot it's featured twice: once in a standalone window and the other on the dock.
[Image: 2022-03-25-paginator.png]
VMS
Members
(25-03-2022, 10:29 AM)seninha Wrote: I love your desktop. Very consistent and beautiful.

Thanks!

Quote:FVWM is my favorite wm, I like it even more than my own wm.

Concurring on this. I can see some influence of fvwm on shod (both on concepts and on decorations).

Quote:Most of the utilities I wrote mimic a the fvwm's feature.

What to say, I wrote the previous statement before even reading this ahahah.

Quote:Btw, what is the name of the application (which I suppose to be a RSS reader) in the top-left of your screenshot?

That's surf browser, on the zine I recently created using a static http/gemini site generator written in OCaml, logarion. The css theme is mine, inspired too xer0's sourcerer colorscheme.

Quote:Here's a screenshot I took today, featuring my last creation: paginator, a desktop pager. In the scrot it's featured twice: once in a standalone window and the other on the dock.

Nice; visual pagers are so much underrated.
Shrek
Members
What's old is what's new again. I'm working on a Motif based desktop.

[Image: snap-20-56-04-03-30-22.png]
movq
Long time nixers
(01-04-2022, 02:57 PM)Shrek Wrote: What's old is what's new again. I'm working on a Motif based desktop.
You posted this no April 1st, so I hope this is not an April fools joke. :-)

This looks really great, if you ask me. Do you have any more details or a link to the source code?