Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
budRich
Long time nixers
Hey people I am budRich. My body is currently in Sweden, same place it was born. But i spend most of my connected time online, reading, writing and listening in English.

I don't want to get political, since i really dislike politics. But I am very disappointed of the state of the state I'm living in. I want to get out of here...

I went all in linux when Windows10 was released. Man, i wish I did that earlier... The computer makes sense now. Back on windows i was messing around with AutoHotkey (a pretty cool open source, windows only, scripting language) for some years. Mainly I was using it to manipulate the window managing functionality of WindowsXP/7, pretty far out stuff. AHK both kept me from jumping the *nix train (i felt i would 'lose' too much skills/knowledge) but at the same time what opened the door (FLOSS lifestyle). And without knowing it I was becoming a heavy rice-addict. And we all know that the more you rice, the less GUI you end up with..

In this process i also discovered the political Pirate movement, syntheism, and got really interested in the religious/philosophical questions that the fact we all have access to an alternate dimension (cyberspace) rises.

I found nixers via /r/unixart

My profession has for the last 10 years been CNC-operator/programmer in the Swedish steel industry. But now I am looking for alternatives. I am also very interested in "media". I'm a podaholic, and I have done some underground podcasting myself. I have plans to start release pod/screen-casts more frequently soon. (i have a video on youtube called 'Let's Linux #001: Perfect Folders' about filesystem linking).

This whole year I have been working on a assistant script for i3wm. Mostly for funs and to really learn bash/awk. I am very close to a release, and I think I might have invented a new tiling layout...

I have a homepage on github, I have lots of unpublished blog drafts that I plan to post very soon.

I have strange tattoos on strange places. I have been 100% sober for 14 months, but have tried it all. I can play heavy psychedelic blues on my strat. My parents owned a video store when I was a kid.

Programs i use:
Sublime Text - With VIntage
i3 - perfect
bash - default
awk - efficient
Vivaldi - works
Klavaro - one day i will do 100 WPM
irssi - Q:* A: RTFM <3 <3
Tmplt
Long time nixers
Hälsningar från Norrland!

(15-11-2017, 05:51 PM)budRich Wrote: I want to get out of here...
I end up thinking about this more often, but I'm not yet sure why. I fear I might have a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

(15-11-2017, 05:51 PM)budRich Wrote: I'm a podaholic
I'll go through periods of only listening to podcasts that I'll run out of episodes. Do you have any recommendations?
budRich
Long time nixers
Hello Norrland!

I just got back to Sweden after a year in Athens. The grass is a lot greener in Greece, imagine rest of the world...

My absolute favorite podcast series is Swedish and since you know the language i can recommend it to you:
http://www.myterochmysterier.se - About myths, religion, human ecology, history and stuff. Be sure to check out Per's writings he has written a lot of cool tech related stuff, especially regarding AI.

Below are some random pods i like:
Nixers Podcast ;)
Overkligt - swedish about entertainment was better and more frequent a couple of years ago, but still good.
exploring the mind -
the pitch podcast - kind of like the dragons den in podformat. People pitching new ideas to investors.
risky business - security pod.
kodsnack - programming pod (most episodes in swedish, but some in english)
radio bubb.la - talk about the news on bubb.la . (swedish)
Retronauts - Extremely nerdy retro game podcast. I stopped gaming when N64 was released.
Bibliotek - Short fictional original short stories (swedish)
Dekonstruktiv Kritik - 50% of the episodes in swedish. Be sure to check out those with Alexander Bard.
Snetänkt - About obscure, often old (40's-70's), swedish pop-culture. (swedish)
Sporkful - for eaters.
Tmplt
Long time nixers
I never did consider Swedish podcasts. With every passing year I've been reading/listened/spoken Swedish a little less than the year before. Calling it my mother language would be an insult to it!

Thanks for the list!
budRich
Long time nixers
Same here. There are a lots of Swedish podcasts out there but most of them are totally unlistenable due to "political(pseudo-religious) madness" . But when I was living abroad, I found it quite comfy to listen to some Swedish voices. I wish Myter och mysterier (which is actually season 3) and radio bubb.la was in English so I could recommend them to more people, the content on those are very good. bubb.la has an English version, cor.ax, but not of the radio, yet.
resk
Members
(15-11-2017, 05:51 PM)budRich Wrote: I don't want to get political, since i really dislike politics. But I am very disappointed of the state of the state I'm living in. I want to get out of here...
I think everyone between the age of 18-23 feels like an outsider in their own country (identity crisis and idealization of the world, dreams vs reality).
The grass might not be greener it just burns differently when smoking it.
Though I've heard Sweden is one of the best places out there.
(15-11-2017, 07:11 PM)budRich Wrote: I just got back to Sweden after a year in Athens. The grass is a lot greener in Greece, imagine rest of the world...
Their economy was crumbling and the EU was fishing it back from underwater, maybe not the greenest place there is.

Welcome to nixers.
venam
Administrators
(15-11-2017, 05:51 PM)budRich Wrote: I don't want to get political, since i really dislike politics.
Yes, let's not get political, this is a forums dedicated to Unix-like systems.

Welcome to nixers.

I also listen to a lot of podcasts (I have a 3h drive everyday), here in order of interest:
  • Let's know things (Colin Wright)
  • Philosophize this
  • You are not so smart
  • Stuff you should know
  • The minimalist (stopped listening to it)
  • Walking up (Sam Harris)
  • ... other audio books and random podcasts
budRich
Long time nixers
@resk : I could get offended (which is the modern way) on many levels by your comment. But let's say that venam read the same sentence as it was supposed to be read... But just out of curiosity, what exactly happens when a person turns 23 that makes them accept and give up? When I was 23 I was quite happy with the place I lived in, this is a feeling that has came over me much later, and I don't think that it has anything to do with the age in years of my body...

In my opinion age doesn't matter much, most of the time. ofc we are all children for some time and our bodies, brains, morals and spirits evolve without our control at a pretty craze speed. And there is not much we can do about it and it is hard to take control of the process during childhood. But after that we can. I met many people, especially at work, that even if their bodies where 40-60 years old the rest of them was very immature. And the other way around. The dangerous thing is to think you know, then the urge to learn disappears...

@venam : It is hard not to be political, in some way, especially when talking about FLOSS. Learning about computers and programming has made me look and compare the societies in a similar way (there are constants, functions, super classes, servers, storage units, viruses, networks and much more). The analogy also works on different persons or personalities and even hardcore sciences like biology and physics. It is all the same in one way...

Lots of stuff good stuff i haven't heard on that list, thanks venam. I think waking up was what I intended when i wrote exploring the mind.

Also, ~ is on the SSD of my laptop
resk
Members
(16-11-2017, 05:06 AM)budRich Wrote: @resk : I could get offended (which is the modern way) on many levels by your comment. But let's say that venam read the same sentence as it was supposed to be read... But just out of curiosity, what exactly happens when a person turns 23 that makes them accept and give up? When I was 23 I was quite happy with the place I lived in, this is a feeling that has came over me much later, and I don't think that it has anything to do with the age in years of my body...
Sorry if that offended you in any way, this wasn't my intention. My comment was partly ironic.

You've got a good point about the exact year, it's not an exact one.
I was pointing that once a person starts to work and enters "real" society instead of their sub-cultures or educational institutions they tend to grow their vision from the "everything is wrong if it's a system let's do a revolution, I don't belong here" mentality to "there are pieces that work and some that don't, but let's not break everything, and I can live well wherever I am". I wasn't implying "giving up progress".

Sort of the Thomas Paine vs Edmund Burke discussion for philosophical part.
Again, I'm sorry if I offended you.
budRich
Long time nixers
Don't worry resk. I chose not to get offended and instead questioned your statement (the old-school way). If everyone got offended based on misunderstood writings on the internet we would be doomed.. oh, shit ;)

Things that offend me is when people lie or manipulate me for their own good. And they are all people, every politician, microsoft employee and executive and so on. I could never get offended by someones beliefs or actions if they are not aimed towards me. But I can, and do, question them sometimes.

For me it was the other way around, it was when i got "in to the system" i truly felt that it was wrong for me. Connecting this back to *nix. What I like the most about it is the idea that every program does one job, does it good but still cooperates as good as possible with other programs. The programs also improves and adapt over time. Translated to society this, imho, means: minimalism, coexistence and (work)ethics. Politic ideologies is the DE's of society and we all know that a DE is not necessary. And sure the programs improve over time, but do that make them "better" then the brand new ones with brand new functions? (circling back to the question of age).

This is my presentation thread, so I feel I can present my thoughts like this here. I know it is borderline OT, forum-wise, but very on-topic thread-wise. And as you might have guessed, for me it is all connected (title): cyberspace, religion, politics, society, culture.

"Culture is the operating system of the society" - Alexander Bard (Deconstructive Criticism podcast 2017)
delete
Members
Welcome to nixers! Happy to see a few new members in the last couple of weeks!

I had to chuckle a little bit, when I read:

(15-11-2017, 05:51 PM)budRich Wrote: I don't want to get political, since i really dislike politics.

Aren't you already political and (obviously successful) provoking a political discussion right there? I mean, why even talk about it, if you dislike it?
budRich
Long time nixers
So if I don't like something I should just ignore it, pretend it doesn't exist?
It is seriously a good way to live, but it is very hard to do that when it comes to politics. Especially in Sweden...

But I try, that's why I wrote that I don't want to get political. My anarchistic values are a big part of who I want to be, so I thought it was appropriate to mention it in my presentation. I try to avoid political activities as much as I can. I believe that the best way to make the environment around one self the way one wants, is to do stuff, not force others to approve or even force them to help, just do it yourself. If it is a cool thing others might maybe join, maybe not. The environment not around me is none of my business or concern. Another discussion is where that environment begins and ends... And again, this mindset goes very well with *nix.
jkl
Long time nixers
I find podcasts disturbing. It is annoying to try and find relevant information in a stream of voice. I prefer blogs. I can set bookmarks there. :)

That said, welcome to nixers.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
budRich
Long time nixers
When I was working as a machinist, podcasts was gold. Pods are great when you are doing other stuff at the same time. Some podcast hosts are also quite funny and or entertaining. I often write down notes when listening to pods (books, other pods, websites e.t.c.). I like blogs too, and books. As long as it is not facebooks.
josuah
Long time nixers
Hi and welcome to yet another web front-end with a form at the bottom of every page to express ourself. I see communication flowing already!
apk
Long time nixers
hi buddy rich, you listen to any jazz?
budRich
Long time nixers
Jazz, sure! I really like jazz from the 60's Buddy Rich is great. But I came up with my handle before i heard about buddy. I also like Miles Davis.

Steely Dan is that jazz? they have made a lot of great stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo

One of my all time favorite Bands is the French band Magma,
i guess they are jazz, pshychedelic-magma-fusion-jazz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0FxtTceTI

And we have some great jazz stuff from sweden:
Mats & Morgan Band. Morgan Ågren is the best drummer in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLmtuhaCc2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtUrmea4us <- same song 10-15 years earlier, with full band.

Hansson & Karlsson very cool hammond/drums duo from the sixties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewSyjy6O5ow

And mighty Jan Johansson very a very promising pianist who died early in a car crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLl2ajfN03Q

-------------

But i listen to a lot of stuff that isn't jazz. I think my favorite band is ZZ-top. And I never turn down an invitation to a rave-party.

It's just music.
venam
Administrators
(21-11-2017, 07:21 AM)budRich Wrote: Jazz, sure! I really like jazz from the 60's Buddy Rich is great. But I came up with my handle before i heard about buddy. I also like Miles Davis.
it's [ b ] not [ bold ], I've edited your post.
budRich
Long time nixers
cool, thank you. [b] b is better then [bold], so that is cool. Markdown is even better.