What are you working on? - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
jkl
Long time nixers
My Web-to-RSS parser comes with a simple web interface now, written in pure Common Lisp (no HTML, no JavaScript, no CSS). Enjoy.
Screenshot.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
rocx
Members
(06-11-2016, 12:44 AM)jkl Wrote: My Web-to-RSS parser comes with a simple web interface now, written in pure Common Lisp (no HTML, no JavaScript, no CSS).

Awesome. Another thing I can look at to learn Common Lisp. A little fun fact: you can compile an "executable" by running:

Code:
$ echo '(format t "Hello, World!~%")' >hello.cl
$ sbcl --eval '(compile-file #P"./hello.cl")' --quit
$ chmod +x hello.fasl
$ ./hello.fasl
Hello, World!
$

"Executables" are just bytecode files with a shebang.
jkl
Long time nixers
I'd probably use my build script for that (part of my to-be-released Gopher server):

Code:
(load "rssparser.lisp")

(in-package #:cl-user)

;; Windows needs .exe.
(if (find :win32 *features*)
    (defparameter +outfile+ "rssparser.exe")
    (defparameter +outfile+ "rssparser"))

(if
;; SBCL with zlib support will provide a compressed image (saving around 40 MiB). Others will not.
(member :sb-core-compression *features*)
(save-lisp-and-die +outfile+ :executable t :toplevel #'rssparser:rssparser :compression 9)
(save-lisp-and-die +outfile+ :executable t :toplevel #'rssparser:rssparser))

But there are good reasons I don't do that:

1. Size. I already have SBCL installed, there is no reason to bake its runtime into a separate executable.
2. There wouldn't be any advantage in doing so, except "portability". A server software might need that. A "shell script" doesn't.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
rocx
Members
(06-11-2016, 11:35 AM)jkl Wrote: 1. Size. I already have SBCL installed, there is no reason to bake its runtime into a separate executable.

FASL files are executable in the that once they're compiled into existence, the Hello, World! only uses 325 bytes and the first few lines are:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/sbcl --script
# FASL
  compiled from "/home/rocx/hello.cl"
  using SBCL version 1.3.10

SBCL itself's not baked into it. That's a different thing from this.
jkl
Long time nixers
Ah, I see.

Still there's no advantage of doing so. :)

--
jkl
Long time nixers
This year I participated in a "write us some software of your choice" contest on DonationCoder.com and wrote a small "all my servers" database in Object Pascal. Currently Windows-only, no porting planned, but maybe still someone is interested.

--
strang3quark
Members
(06-11-2016, 12:44 AM)jkl Wrote: My Web-to-RSS parser comes with a simple web interface now, written in pure Common Lisp (no HTML, no JavaScript, no CSS). Enjoy.
Screenshot.

That's awesome, I've thought of doing something similar in Python but I never had the time to do it.
jkl
Long time nixers
See, now I saved you some time. :-D You're welcome.

--
hades
Long time nixers
A to-do list app for git repos: open a .todo file in the repo's directory, and, after modifying and saving, it triggers a script to commit changes and the list itself.

Learning GTK as I go.
strang3quark
Members
I'm creating a simple REST API for android to let me send and receive SMS from my computer over a Wifi connection. It's a school project.
Dopa
Registered
I'm currently working on a youtube mockup written in elm just to get myself more familiar with the language.

https://github.com/tyrantwarship/elmtube <- repo
Tmplt
Long time nixers
Having been writing Python for the last five months have made me wanting to do C++, so I've decided to try rewrite the current state of bookwyrm, and boy, switching between the two languages sure is confusing me. So far I've had to re-learn the little I knew of CMake, which currently strips fmtlib's namespace, and the messy code written thus far har been done by a mind set on weak typing for the last half-year.

It'll be nice to make something off the not-yet-half-done IRC library I began on last year when I implement that as a source.

Everything's a bit on pause, however. I've got some exams in january.
rocx
Members
Learning some assembly, tinkering with the Atari 2600 VCS. Browsing through the Stella programmer's guide and picking up some knowledge of the 6502 operations helped me understand what was going on. One thing led to another and suddenly I had a 4K ROM that changed colors when the COLOR/B&W switch on the console is thrown. (Assembly source) (Demo video)

I'm pissing my pants in excitement. Tried to do this back in high school and it was overwhelming for some reason.
TheAnachron
Members
Converting to Void Linux as systemd is a sickness that I don't want to live with.
Meanwhile I made a new concept for my security, backup, setup (with theme randomizer) and more.
jkl
Long time nixers
Dont't expect any Linux distribution to never grow a systemd as time passes.

--
TheAnachron
Members
jkl I am trying to avoid it as much as possible.
All this RedHat stuff lately just seems so bad.
It's not the idea but rather the execution.

Maybe I should hop on the FreeBSD train.
jkl
Long time nixers
At least you'll be safely out of systemd's scope when on Unix or BSD.

--
apk
Long time nixers
(05-01-2017, 09:18 AM)jkl Wrote: Dont't expect any Linux distribution to never grow a systemd as time passes.

slackware thnx
jkl
Long time nixers
Just wait.

--
hades
Long time nixers
I just finished a portfolio engine in PHP - basically like a blog engine, except it displays your past projects.

It looks in a CSV file with 4 fields: Project Title, Project URL, Image URL, and Project Description

It then builds a Div with the Project Title and Project Description Displayed within, the linked Image as the background, and the entire div is wrapped in a link to the Project URL.

Anyways, I'm gonna write a script that lets you add projects to the .CSV painlessly, and push the .CSV to your server when finished.

I'm building this for personal use on my website, but if anyone wants to take a look at it, it's up on my github as "porte" (pronouned port-aye)
tudurom
Long time nixers
I'm working on a program that executes commands when windows with a specific name/class are created. It should be used to create "rules" like in other window managers where you can automatically move windows with a specific class to a specific workspace. I could write it as a script with the use of wmutils but it would be slow. I'm writing it in C all by myself mostly to learn (simple) parsing. The program will use a configuration file where the user can define the rules. Think of it like a sxhkd for windows.
TheAnachron
Members
Uhm what? If you use a "good" shell and don't do anti-patterns in it, the shell script will most likely be fast enough to not make any noticeable difference.

The upsite however is you don't need to take care of all that memory and allocation stuff and everybody can read it, change it and contribute to it.

That's my reason for doings most stuff in the shell. I even rewrite some small programs from Python with base/bonus utils (such as awk, diff and alike).
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Installing crux again. Hit a roadblock because I can't seem to get any of realtek ethernet drivers in the kernel to work on my board on 4.9. Think I am gonna have to try and install an older kernel to see if I can get a driver in one of those to work.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(07-01-2017, 05:33 PM)tudurom Wrote: I'm working on a program that executes commands when windows with a specific name/class are created. It should be used to create "rules" like in other window managers where you can automatically move windows with a specific class to a specific workspace. I could write it as a script with the use of wmutils but it would be slow. I'm writing it in C all by myself mostly to learn (simple) parsing. The program will use a configuration file where the user can define the rules. Think of it like a sxhkd for windows.

you might want to look into lex/yacc then. That's the perfect fit for this kind of jobs.
xcko
Members
Just finished adding basic ssl support to irc.c from http://c9x.me/irc. There should be a patch there soon. Or it's available on my github.

Pretty fun learning sockets, openssl, select, poll
Adrift
Members
(07-01-2017, 05:33 PM)tudurom Wrote: I'm working on a program that executes commands when windows with a specific name/class are created. It should be used to create "rules" like in other window managers

But if he makes it as a module to work directly with windowchef it will be faster and more convenient. Plus scripts like this already exist using wmutils. I have been using windowchef for a little while now and am thoroughly enjoying it. And am looking forward to all the new development.
nxll
Members
Currently working on a small script that colors a transparent tile pattern using Xresources colors and then sets it as a wallpaper. Also with an optional switch to choose an image with sxiv. I am considering adding a bunch of options of different wallpaper styles, all using your Xresources colors. I waste too much time hunting for wallpapers so this saves time.
dab
Members
(13-01-2017, 03:21 PM)nxll Wrote: Currently working on a small script that colors a transparent tile pattern using Xresources colors and then sets it as a wallpaper. Also with an optional switch to choose an image with sxiv. I am considering adding a bunch of options of different wallpaper styles, all using your Xresources colors. I waste too much time hunting for wallpapers so this saves time.
Really like the idea! How you will choose different regions of patterns for coloring?
xcko
Members
added ssl support to iim too!
def better code than ii.

I personally use colors from 2f30.org by sin. only dep is libpng and it pulls dominant colors from an image.
Otherwise there is uurn - haven't used it though.
nxll
Members
(13-01-2017, 04:25 PM)dab Wrote: Really like the idea! How you will choose different regions of patterns for coloring?
Right now I am using imagemagick, it has some awesome documentation. The start of the script here, though it still needs work and I have to add more wallpapering options from another script I was working on.