Your Latest Workflow Improvement - Desktop Customization & Workflow
z3bra
Maybe but I run a linux machine, not an emacs one ;)
pyratebeard
(27-02-2019, 06:20 AM)venam Wrote: When I have to do something after X time or at X time I just fire up `at` with notify-send and/or some sound.
It's pretty neat, light, and simple.

I have started using this as well, it's very useful.

I have stopped keeping tabs open in the browser and started storing links in buku or making notes on my wiki. I found that I would rarely go back to that article I wanted to read, or need that stackoverflow answer again so decided to keep my browser clear. If I do need a link I can find it in buku.
zge
(05-04-2019, 02:24 PM)z3bra Wrote: Maybe but I run a linux machine, not an emacs one ;)

Whoever doesn't use Emacs, is doomed to reinvent it ;^)
z3bra
hahaha nice quote! I'll steal it ^^
For my organisation issue, I changed the concept a bit, and decided to consider my work as a stack of tasks.
When a new task arrive, I push it on top, and it becomes my current task. When the top task is done, I "pop" it out, and the one below becomes the main one.
At any given time, I can move a lower task to the top and work on it, but I force myself to only work on the top task.

Of course, that doesn't take multitasking into account. If smI get a request that can be cleared in less than a minute, I don't even stack it.

I wrote a first PoC named "stak" (I like that it's an anagram for task). I'll clean it a bit and post it if you're interested
acg
(12-04-2019, 10:57 AM)z3bra Wrote: For my organisation issue, I changed the concept a bit, and decided to consider my work as a stack of tasks.
When a new task arrive, I push it on top, and it becomes my current task. When the top task is done, I "pop" it out, and the one below becomes the main one.

I'm wondering what do you do with a "current" task when another one arrives if you still have one in progress. This is one of my main issues, I'm working on something and get approached with a new non-trivial task.

What I've been doing lately is delaying those task until I finish the current one and reorganize.
z3bra
Depends. For now every new task goes to the top by design, and becomes the current.
If it's not urgent, I just put back the last task on top
thuban
I recently added to my ~/.xsession calls to xdotools in order to start some stuff when the mouse is on screen border.
Code:
xdotool behave_screen_edge --delay 900 bottom-left exec tkmenu &
xdotool behave_screen_edge --delay 900 bottom-right exec pager &
(also added these commands to cwm's menu)

Code:
command " -  Min win " "xdotool selectwindow windowminimize"
command " +  Max win " "xdotool selectwindow windowsize 100% 100% windowmove 0 0"
command " x  Close win " "xdotool selectwindow windowclose"
command " -* Desktop  " "sh -c 'for i in $(xdotool search --onlyvisible .); do xdotool windowminimize $i; done'"
z3bra
I don't get it. You added this because you wanted the ability to do it without the keyboard?
venam
(16-04-2019, 05:29 AM)thuban Wrote: I recently added to my ~/.xsession calls to xdotools in order to start some stuff when the mouse is on screen border.
xdotool behave_screen_edge --delay 900 bottom-left exec tkmenu &
xdotool behave_screen_edge --delay 900 bottom-right exec pager &
(also added these commands to cwm's menu)

I might actually use that to show a popup with the current time and date or todos when hitting a corner of the screen.
thuban
Yep, for inspiration, I have this to handle windows
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# window operation
# requires xdotool

MSG="$(date '+%v %T')"
xmessage -nearmouse -timeout 5 -buttons "-:3,+:4,-*:5,x:6" "${MSG}"

case $? in
    3) xdotool selectwindow windowminimize ;;
    4) xdotool selectwindow windowsize 100% 100% windowmove 0 0 ;;
    5) for i in $(xdotool search --onlyvisible .);
           do xdotool windowminimize $i;
       done ;;
    6) xdotool selectwindow windowclose ;;
esac

exit

And to call the pager (and destroy it after a short time)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

netwmpager &
PID=$!

sleep 5
kill -9 $PID

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode