Which BSD do you use? - BSD
z3bra
I wish all people using wmutils could give us some feedback on how they use it and what their experience is
dkeg
Sure! New thread? Chef and I have been working together getting our wm-utils dialed in. I had thought of opening a 'My workflow' type of thread in the bbq forums.
work hard, complain less
z3bra
Bumping this thread as I've recently discovered the joy OpenBSD is. I've been a happy linux hacker for long, but I mist say it feels great to use a "fully-complete" OS that's ready to use right after install!

The philosophies behind Linux and BSD are quite different, but both are interesting, and I'm convinced our world need both!
josuah
(17-07-2016, 07:12 PM)z3bra Wrote: [...] our world need both!

Maybe it is a paradox, but I feel that ^^this^^ is the way to get along with standards.

That is also why I really like projects built in portable C, or ported from BSDs to Linux (with libbsd?, or in the other direction, but I am running Linux right now).

GhostBSD may be my entrance door to BSD, as Ubuntu was for Linux: I was needing to see how a system can work while fully configured before to start setting up a new one on its own. But I have seen nixers starting with slackware as a first distro!
ChefIronBelly
sshbio Wrote:is the way to get along with standards.

That cartoon has hung in my cubicle for years :)

Currently dual booting Free and Net. My Open is installed on a live usb via Fugulta, works like a charm.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum
xero
(18-07-2016, 03:43 PM)sshbio Wrote: But I have seen nixers starting with slackware as a first distro!

dont be like me. i used slack first as a kid, since that was *the linux distro* of the day. but it soured me to nix for years.
josuah
Oh, Slackware being "the linux distro of the day"? I missed something!
xero
(19-07-2016, 06:02 PM)sshbio Wrote: Oh, Slackware being "the linux distro of the day"? I missed something!

yea, i'm old. i installed it via a stack of floppies (seems like it was 50 of them!)
jkl
If I ever have to choose a Linux again because someone pays me for that or something, I'll surely choose Slackware too. One of the last no-bullshit distros.
pranomostro
Lots of people I respect really like Void Linux (chneukirchen, gottox, and some more).

Maybe it's also a non-bullshit distro.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode