Hello there - Introductions
d9a
Hey.

I'm from Colorado and really enjoy using Unix-based operating systems. Right now I'm trying to settle on a Linux distribution to use. I am a Free Software advocate and try to focus on maintaining privacy. I'm also a programmer studying Computer Science, but I've taken a break because school's expensive. As a result, I need to get back to coding. I really enjoy it but haven't made it a priority in a couple years. I haven't ever looked at these forums before, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm just looking for new friends.
jkl
Why do you even consider Linux if you enjoy Unix-based operating systems? Stick with the original. :-)

Welcome to nixers.
d9a
Because Linux is what I'm familiar with. Eventually I'd like to learn OpenBSD.

Thanks!
jkl
So you haven't even used Unix-based operating systems yet? How can you enjoy them then?

Sigh. Youngsters.
d9a
Depends on your definition of the word "based".

Also, "Unix-like" might've been more apt to use.
Dworin
Welcome here. If by saying free you're thinking of FSF, I think Debian would be the logical choice or perhaps linux-libre. If you're interested in openbsd, just install it, isn't that the best (only?) way to learn?
jkl
(03-01-2019, 08:24 PM)d9a Wrote: Depends on your definition of the word "based".

"Based on" = "directly derived from". The only free and open source Unix in existence is OpenSolaris (currently, illumos). The "free" BSDs had mostly diverged by the end of the 80s, thanks to AT&T. Not that OpenBSD was bad though - I quite like it, actually.

See, you've been here for a few hours and you already learned something. :-)
d9a
Haven't used OpenBSD yet because I haven't had the time to learn something completely new. I plan on doing it though in the near future. Right now I have Fedora installed, but I'm thinking Debian or Void Linux. I also want to try Alpine Linux on my server.
jkl
If these are the choices to which you limited yourself, I'd say Void wins. Alpine has a severe lack of package maintainers and Debian has systemd.
venam
Hello and welcome to the forums d9a.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode