First Time you used 'Linux' ? - GNU/Linux
berk
Last year I decided to try Linux, I was 14~, had a little experience with C#. Timeline:

Fedora 17 -> Ubuntu 12.04 -> Linux Mint Maya -> Arch Linux
Kyubey
First time I ever used Linux was probably back when my laptop's hard drive died. This poor thing had a 1.4Ghz single-core CPU and 512MB of RAM, although one of the slots had recently become faulty and it was limited to 256MB. This was my only computer, and I'm pretty sure it was 2009. Very poor time.

I had heard of a lightweight distro called Puppy Linux, which was supposed to work really well for low-end hardware (and it had persistent booting by default, which was a great plus for someone who had to live off a flash drive). Pretty neat stuff.

Got on another PC, threw it on with unetbootin and off I went. Went quite a long time on that setup before a friend gave me another hard drive. I then installed Crunchbang on the HDD and went from there.
Reki
I think I started using Linux 2 years ago because I actually found the time to fiddle around with my computer. I actually started with Ubuntu but quickly left because I further read that there are much more simpler systems like #! and Slackware. That somehow led to me going on HF, where I met Beastie and the others. I finally settled on Arch because it isn't unstable as I thought it was and I've taken a liking to the package manager.
Loki123
When I was aruond 12 because I had a old laptop that was bearly able to run XP properly...
That was OpenSuSE 10.1
kirby
When I was much younger my dad set up our computer to dual-boot Windows 2000 and Linux (later it triple-booted with those and XP). I used Windows but my dad stuck a load of games on Linux (Tux Racer, a 3D Tron game, a golf game and a Bomberman clone) that I used to play on because they were fun. Looking through his old CDs I think it was Fedora Core 1, but I wouldn't really know.

I started using it for myself was about a year ago when I installed a Debian VM on my netbook in preparation for the Raspberry Pi I was getting, and have stuck with it since.
kopri
The first time I tried Linux I was around 16. I was in school at a tech school doing a computer repair/ networking class and they only covered the basics of Linux with no hands on training. It really interested me, so I went home and downloaded Slackware. Oh man was that a learning experience. I spend more time reading and learning in my first month on Slackware than I ever have on an OS since.
delucks
My progression went something like this:

Ubuntu 10.04 >> Archlinux >> Linux Mint >> Archlinux >> FreeBSD

I started with Ubuntu because I was incredulous that there could be an operating system available for free, and I read about it on Lifehacker (lol). Attempted to move to Arch after that, and messed up the network config so badly that I gave up and switched to Mint. Hated it's lack of customizability on the surface and the bloat (was using Gnome 3 at the time), so went back to Arch and learned how to do everything properly. I've still got Arch on my main laptop, but I'm messing around with FreeBSD and considering replacing my Arch / with BSD. Got CentOS and ubuntu on my servers mainly.
Ippytraxx
(01-06-2013, 02:32 AM)delucks Wrote: My progression went something like this:

Ubuntu 10.04 >> Archlinux >> Linux Mint >> Archlinux >> FreeBSD

I started with Ubuntu because I was incredulous that there could be an operating system available for free, and I read about it on Lifehacker (lol). Attempted to move to Arch after that, and messed up the network config so badly that I gave up and switched to Mint. Hated it's lack of customizability on the surface and the bloat (was using Gnome 3 at the time), so went back to Arch and learned how to do everything properly. I've still got Arch on my main laptop, but I'm messing around with FreeBSD and considering replacing my Arch / with BSD. Got CentOS and ubuntu on my servers mainly.
Everybody starts with Ubuntu, admit it everyone!
crshd
(01-06-2013, 11:06 AM)Ippytraxx Wrote: Everybody starts with Ubuntu, admit it everyone!

My first Ubuntu install was about half a year ago (been (more or less) using Linux for ~15 years), and it lasted for about a week.

I had just fixed up my GF's laptop (new mobo), and had to get it ready to be sold, with a fresh W7 install. With about a week to spare, I decided to boot up Ubuntu and see how bad it really is. Turns out it's **absolutely** horrible.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Tanami
Hmm no idea what kernel it was, but definitely red hat in 1998 or so, hard to remember since I was very young.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode