Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Gopher is by definition the opposite of the web. However, the concept of "phlogroll" exist, though it's basically just linking to other holes from your own. Unless I misunderstand the concept of "webring" ?
mcol
Nixers
The only thing a webring requires is a link on each website to another one. If it has external links then in theory it is possible.

However, resolution of the "next" site in the ring (as far as I understand it) is done when the link is clicked, which obviously requires some kind of code to run somewhere.
Dworin
Members
That's not how I remember it and Webring also suggests the previous/next links were fixed at time of creation. Incidently, it also mentions webrings became obsolete when search engines were good enough to find content easily, so it might still be a thing for gopher.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Gopher has search engines, and they work pretty well. See Veronica 2.
Ramiferous
Nixers
(25-09-2020, 12:58 PM)z3bra Wrote: You can also try setting up ipv6, that could be the occasion ^^

It turns out that there was a bug in phetch where it would only try the 1st returned IP address when a name lookup returns multiple IP addresses. Obviously the 1st IP address was IPv6 which my router isn't capable of.

Phetch has now been updated and this bug has been fixed.
mcol
Nixers
(06-10-2020, 01:33 AM)Dworin Wrote: That's not how I remember it and Webring also suggests the previous/next links were fixed at time of creation. I
In that case it should be very easy then; page generation can just get the next site and stick it in.