Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Gopher is by definition the opposite of the web. However, the concept of "phlogroll" exist, though it's basically just linking to other holes from your own. Unless I misunderstand the concept of "webring" ?
mcol
Nixers
The only thing a webring requires is a link on each website to another one. If it has external links then in theory it is possible.

However, resolution of the "next" site in the ring (as far as I understand it) is done when the link is clicked, which obviously requires some kind of code to run somewhere.
Dworin
Members
That's not how I remember it and Webring also suggests the previous/next links were fixed at time of creation. Incidently, it also mentions webrings became obsolete when search engines were good enough to find content easily, so it might still be a thing for gopher.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Gopher has search engines, and they work pretty well. See Veronica 2.
pfr
Nixers
(25-09-2020, 12:58 PM)z3bra Wrote: You can also try setting up ipv6, that could be the occasion ^^

It turns out that there was a bug in phetch where it would only try the 1st returned IP address when a name lookup returns multiple IP addresses. Obviously the 1st IP address was IPv6 which my router isn't capable of.

Phetch has now been updated and this bug has been fixed.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)
mcol
Nixers
(06-10-2020, 01:33 AM)Dworin Wrote: That's not how I remember it and Webring also suggests the previous/next links were fixed at time of creation. I
In that case it should be very easy then; page generation can just get the next site and stick it in.
pfr
Nixers
Hey z3bra, is g.nixers.net down? I'm not getting through.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
It was indeed, the gopher daemon didn't start after the reboot. Not sure why thouhg…

Thanks for the notice, it should be back up now !
jkl
Long time nixers
I usually recommend just using Gophernicus behind inetd. Never had a problem with reliability here.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
It's just that the server wasn't registered to start on boot. This should be fixed now.
pfr
Nixers
(04-11-2021, 06:22 AM)z3bra Wrote: It's just that the server wasn't registered to start on boot. This should be fixed now.

I'm still not getting through.
I get this:
Code:
comment
       comment
*   1. R-36
    2. file - comment
    3. http://www.heise.de
    4. some | escape and [ special characters ] test
       Happy helping here: You tried to output a spurious tab character. This will
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Should be fixed now. I inadvertently pushed the default index.gph of the server's project, which took precedence over the correct one.

Sorry about that and happy gophering !
pfr
Nixers
(19-11-2021, 03:34 AM)z3bra Wrote: Should be fixed now.
Yep, thanks!
ckester
Nixers
(15-09-2020, 02:59 AM)z3bra Wrote: There are a few ones already:

The elinks browser also supports the gopher protocol.

Not available in OpenBSD ports, but see here and here. Not sure if this resolves the issues the OpenBSD team had with it; if anyone can speak to that I'd like to hear what you think.

Upshot: use the latest git version, not the last stable release from 2009. (FWIW, Debian's package is based on the felinks fork, which is more actively maintained.)
ckester
Nixers
I can't get the email-to-phlog thing working.
I tried sending from both my comcast and gmail accounts (after updating .forward accordingly) and checked to make sure I was sending plain text.
I even tried using ssmtp directly, eliminating the MUA from the process.
No joy. My email always bounces with this error:
"5.2.4 Mailing list expansion problem: <ckester@g.nixers.net>"

I'm stumped.

Edit 26Aug: It's working now. Thanks for looking into this, z3bra!
ckester
Nixers
Just a heads-up: The gopher proxy on vulpes.one hasn't been working lately, so any http links to gopherholes that use it will be broken.

The g.nixers gopher server, on the other hand, is running with no problems.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(29-10-2022, 11:07 PM)ckester Wrote: Just a heads-up: The gopher proxy on vulpes.one hasn't been working lately, so any http links to gopherholes that use it will be broken.

The g.nixers gopher server, on the other hand, is running with no problems.

As a good measure, I added a new feature to the server: https://g.nixers.net.
You can now browse the hole (and technically the whole gophernet) from your browser directly. Keep in mind also that the "sacc" gopher client is installed on the server, which you can access over ssh (don't forget -t):

Code:
ssh -t $USER@g.nixers.net sacc [URL]
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
(03-11-2022, 07:02 AM)z3bra Wrote: Keep in mind also that the "sacc" gopher client is installed on the server

that is really handy, thanks!