Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
kirby
Long time nixers
So a few days ago a load of us decided to make a game on irc and promptly set up a GitHub repo for it, as well as a channel (#game).

We got a few ideas then I left and haven't really seen it mentioned again, so a forum thread is probably a better place to discuss. Currently we have that:
  • It's written in C
  • We're using SDL

For ideas on the actual game, the main thing that was discussed was a networked text-based rougelike, which I think is really cool and would be behind myself.
ErHong
Members
I'd love to contribute to the game. Any ideas for the setting?
LIESard
Members
But if it's a text-based game, then why would we use SDL?
nounoursheureux
Members
This is a nice idea :D . Do you have some experience with the SDL or not ?
There are a lot of roguelikes out there, so do you have any idea on how this one would be different from the others ?
ErHong
Members
Has there been any more discussion on the game in IRC? I've been in and out, but I don't want to miss out on any updates.

What is meant by text-based? Are we talking Zork?
kirby
Long time nixers
(05-03-2015, 01:48 PM)LIESard Wrote: But if it's a text-based game, then why would we use SDL?

Dwarf Fortress does it like that. People have expressed disinterest in curses.
nounoursheureux
Members
And with SDL there could also be a graphic version.
kirby
Long time nixers
(08-03-2015, 04:22 PM)ErHong Wrote: What is meant by text-based? Are we talking Zork?

I think people mean like NetHack or Rouge. Everyone's homework should be to install these and play them.
nounoursheureux
Members
Or if you want something more recent you have Brogue ( https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ ) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup ( http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/ ) . Do you want to use libtcod (a library with helplers for roguelikes) or do you want to start from scratch ?
ErHong
Members
(12-03-2015, 04:14 PM)kirby Wrote: I think people mean like NetHack or Rouge. Everyone's homework should be to install these and play them.

Cool. I'm keen.
kirby
Long time nixers
(13-03-2015, 12:20 PM)nounoursheureux Wrote: Or if you want something more recent you have Brogue (https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/) . Do you want to use libtcod (a library with helplers for roguelikes) or do you want to start from scratch ?

Both those sites 404? Never heard of libtcod, worth a look I guess.
hades
Long time nixers
I'd love to contribute in any way possible, but my C programming book has a fine layer of dust on it. Brb, brushing up on my C and Installing NetHack and Rogue now.
nounoursheureux
Members
I created an Etherpad to gather ideas :)
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/LWPzfIbWoT
nounoursheureux
Members
If you're interested you can also go to the #game channel on irc.nixers.net to discuss and give your ideas :)
I will try to contribute. This would be great to help me learn C better.
ErHong
Members
Is anyone having trouble compiling the game?
S1cK94
Members
(12-04-2015, 06:11 AM)ErHong Wrote: Is anyone having trouble compiling the game?
I had this problems:
  • Missing SDL libraries
  • Can't output to bin/game

The last "problem" was very dumb: I've just had to create the bin folder
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
And the first one is easy to fix: install the missing SDL libraries.
kirby
Long time nixers
dami has thrown out the idea of a Linux version of the game Spaceship 13. I've never played it myself but it looks pretty cool. Thoughts?
kirby
Long time nixers
This is actually gaining some traction now! We have decided on a "top-down cyberpunk RPG", and code is being written over at the repository.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Did this take off at all? Im very interested
kirby
Long time nixers
The GitHub page has all the code that was ever put down and there is a nice amount but nothing too amazing and it hasn't been touched in a while. I'd love to work on it but it's hard, people get busy.
venam
Administrators
Usually when we start a community project we have a lot of members willing to help.
However with time we always end up with 2-3 persons working on the project by themselves.
They become really knowledgeable in the codebase and that leaves others out of it because of the learning curve.

In the case where we don't get those 2-3 persons working on it, the project is forgotten.
srp
Long time nixers
(30-07-2015, 02:05 AM)venam Wrote: Usually when we start a community project we have a lot of members willing to help.
However with time we always end up with 2-3 persons working on the project by themselves.
They become really knowledgeable in the codebase and that leaves others out of it because of the learning curve.

In the case where we don't get those 2-3 persons working on it, the project is forgotten.

For the record, I will maintain issues and pull requests. But I won't be contributing to the project as I'm not great at gamedev.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky