Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
OpenSource
Members
1. AndroIRC
2. Blackmarket Alpha
3. TubeMate

AndroIRC:

-Brief Summary-
This application is a must have for those who want to stay connected to there favorite irc channels without the need to be on a computer.

-Screenshot-

[Image: BGbdH.jpg]

-Download Link-
> Download it From Blackmarket Alpha

Blackmarket Alpha:

-Brief Summary-
This app is more than just a ordinary app, it is a money saver. Everyone loves to keep what they have in there wallet this is one way. Blackmarket Alpha is a store just like the Android store but everything is FREE. This does not require a rooted phone.

-Screenshot-

[Image: W8HkY.jpg]

-Download Link-

TubeMate:

-Brief Summary-
Ever watch a video, movie, or listened to music and wanted to save it to your phone to watch later now you can. TubeMate offers you a chance to save and watch youtube videos anytime any where once downloaded you can watch the video anytime any where without the need of a internet connection. This does not require root.

-Screenshot-

[Image: ry0t5.jpg]

-Download Link-

If you have android apps that are useful please post them here.
zygotb
Long time nixers
I like ConnectBot, Android SSH client. (bring your server's CLI to your phone)
And for SFTP I like FTPCafe. (file transfers)

Then there's FoxFi - "tether w/out root," to turn your phone into a WiFi hot-spot.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
OpenSource
Members
Nice 29a ;

Found a File manager app that lets you encrypt files found this interesting thought people would be interested in it :D Encryption Manager
Jayro
Long time nixers
Botbrew is another great app that will bootstrap your phone and allow you to run compiled Linux binaries compiled for the ARM architecture. The new version uses aptitude as its package manager I think.

Android Terminal Emulated to run all of your binaries, use SSH, etc.
dunz0r
Members
I really like to keep todo-lists, helps getting all my shit together.
Best app I've found for this is Tasks+
- Screenshot
[Image: D-AHY9WSOQfuDYNGbhQuVD_wapvI_7RNCdbJLIot...cdcaJNvfD0]

Another great app is MPDroid, use it to control my MPD-machine which I then can stream to my phone, it's like Spotify but free and with only music that I like.
- Screenshot
[Image: xcvzdbpOTqO7yxZFkE_Km8xgzeWPy8sHNXhIIdVP...O5-wi9PuPU]
kopri
Long time nixers
Lately I've been using Terminal IDE. It comes with GCC 4.4.0, make 3.82, ctags, javac, java, dx, proguard, aapt, apkbuilder, signer, ssh, sshd, telnetd, bash 4.2, busybox 1.19.2, vim 7.3, nano 2.2.6, midnight commander 4.8, htop 1.0, TMUX 1.5, links 2.7, rsync 3.0.8, git 1.7.8, BitchX 1.1 and a nice terminal emulator.
NulledTech
Members
I just discover dSploit not to long ago but it has became one of my favorite apps.
berk
Long time nixers
I downloaded WebSharing not 5 minutes ago and I'm LOVING it. I no longer need to mount my Android device to my computer to share files, since I can do so from WiFi now! There is a Pro version of it, I have not tried but looks decent (you know where you can get it for free). Must have, 5 stars.

I get ca. 10-20 Mbps transfer speed on 100% connectivity with a LG Optimus Black.

http://android.nextapp.com/site/websharing
Robby
Long time nixers
Can't seem to find a UK copy of the Blackmarket Alpha, such a shame.
DotDev
Long time nixers
a very useful file manager is ES File Explorer, It has allot of useful features

Google Store (ES File Explorer)
crshd
Registered
+1 for ES File Explorer. I use it in combination with VPlayer to browse and view videos from my computer.

While it's more a matter of personal preference, I think SwiftKey beats the living crap out of all other mobile keyboards - it's actually the reason my mom decided to get herself an android phone, after seeing me pumping out text like crazy on mine.

Something that's nice to have is a QR scanner - doesn't really matter which one, they all do the same. I just picked the one that had the most appealing UI.

Tapatalk is nice to have if you frequent a bunch of forums *#hint hint @admins*

Popup widget is nice of you want widgets but like to keep a clean home screen.

And let's not forget Tasker. It's a must-have, I don't think I could live without it anymore.
DotDev
Long time nixers
Another useful app is called TV Portal (Not in App Store)

It's a app that you can watch (stream) TV shows / movies, it has tons of shows and movies that Netflix doesn't have, Also it's free.

Download From My Dropbox
DotDev
Long time nixers
It's not really a "useful" app but here is flappy bird, it's better than spending $1000+ for the app.

Download From My Dropbox

-No longer available-
crshd
Registered
Thanks! I'm going to sell my phone now.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

pvtmert
Members
Nova Launcher: A fast, fancy, customizable launcher... (you can assign 'activities' or create shortcuts for them) [ if your stock rom not allowing you to move apps icon in home eg: samsung ]

Switchr: Alt-Tab like task switcher. Useful when screen is not big and/or you want fullscreen appls

Floating Apps: As name defines, have some floating windows like browser notepad etc... Is useful when taking notes...

3D image wallpaper: Creates a movable wallpaper behind desktop and menus. When you move your phone its moving slightly, creates nice effect...

Facebook Messenger: Popped out chat heads...

C4Droid or CppDroid: Write, edit and compile C programs on your droid!

Conncectbot: Is a telnet ssh client and terminal emulator (if you connect local)

Flipboard: Digital magazine / News... Im following Tech/Science section... Its very nice and readable...

Remote keyboard: Connect to your phone through telnet and what you write is what you see... (Use pc as keyboard to android)

Googles: OCR + QR-code scanner... Also does google search for it... Identifies pictures you have taken. For example Im in Turkey/Istanbul... When I take picture of beach from middle of bosphorus It identifies area (example Besiktas Ortakoy) place names etc.

Camera FV-5: Turn your smartphone into DSLR-Like thing... Its not good as real DSLR but you can take long exposure shots, change focus point etc... Boosts performance at night shots

Remote droid: use your phone/tablet as touchpad for your computer... Requires java-based client on computer...

Gravity Screen: A lot of nice features/gestures... Phone auto on/off when put on desk and taken to face up. A setting to not to enter sleep when its vibrating (when you holding in your hand, its moving so little but that app detects it and not allowing screen to turn off when you reading something... Better than samsung's shitty smartstay)

X-Plane: Aircraft simulation game... I like to mess around :)
Code:
Slax 7.0.8 (32-bits + PAE)
----- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GE/CS/CM/S d+@ s-:- a--- C++++(++) UL+++ P+ L+++ E?() W+++(++) N? o? K- w+
O M-- V- PS+ PE Y? PGP- t+ 5? X++++(+++) R- !tv b+ DI? D- G e- h+ r-- z--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
mimimimi
Registered
i am interested in qr code reader and i think it is a good app in phone to get useful information.
http://www.keepdynamic.com/dotnet-barcode-reader/
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Drivedroid, to boot your favorites ISO from your phone
BANGARANG, MOTHERFUCKER
DotDev
Long time nixers
F-Droid is a great alternative to the Google Play Store
rwzy
Members
Arity is a damn nice calc.
FeedEx feed reader
PDF viewer has some nice features, like if you have to read a long pdf (perhaps a book), then it can automatically cut off the white space on the sides so that it makes scrolling smoother. And has night mode, can change brightness (within the app itself). Heaps more settings options too.
/vim/ noun informal
not just an editor, 'tis but a way of »life»!

xero
Long time nixers
juiceSSH is one of my new favorite apps. it's an awesome ssh app with lots of features (like MOSH compatibility for ssh timing via udp). it's free/donation ware. supports themes/colors and all android keyboards (it has it's own for things like page up/down, ctrl, fn, mod, alt, etc).
ThePlantMan
Members
K9mail is a great mail client that supports GPG. Ghost Commander is what I use for a file manager, and it also supports sftp. MuPDF is a nice lightweight pdf viewer. Do you guys know about F-Droid? It's an app store that has only FOSS apps on it. It's sweet. I'm pretty sure you need root to install it but I'm not sure.
venam
Administrators
(24-04-2015, 01:04 AM)ThePlantMan Wrote: K9mail is a great mail client that supports GPG.
First time I hear that a mail client support GPG on Android.
(24-04-2015, 01:04 AM)ThePlantMan Wrote: MuPDF is a nice lightweight pdf viewer.
Tried it, it was crappy on the phone.
(24-04-2015, 01:04 AM)ThePlantMan Wrote: Do you guys know about F-Droid? It's an app store that has only FOSS apps on it. It's sweet. I'm pretty sure you need root to install it but I'm not sure.
Obviously, it was also mentioned earlier in the thread.
xero
Long time nixers
my most commonly used android apps:

- transdroid
- keepassdroid
- juicessh
- es file explorer
- openvpn for android
- comicrack
- apv pdf viewer
techch
Members
Here are some of my favorites on FDroid:

Atomic: This is a nice FOSS IRC client
Dimmer: FOSS alternative to f.lux
Episodes: Keep track of episodes that you've watched. Has a large database of tv shows.
Autostarts: See what autostarts at boot
Apk Extractor: Get apk files from installed apps
ApkTrack Check for updates on the Play Store

These are from the Play Store:
Boats for Voat: full-featured client for Voat
Slide for reddit: A reddit client in alpha that mimics the style of Sync for reddit. The dev plans on open sourcing it.
Reddit Offline: A reddit app that downloads preselected subreddits. You can set up a schedule for when to download.
Notes.md: A good markdown text editor with Dropbox integration
No wallpaper: replaces your wallpaper with a black screen
Simple Sticky Note Widget: It does what it says
DotDev
Long time nixers
I've been using "ftp server" on my S4 so I can move custom roms to my phone, really enjoying it. It's worth checking out you can get the pro version from Black Market Alpha
jvarg
Members
Having ditched google for some time, this is what i use daily:

- AntennaPod // good podcast app
- Twidere // twitter client
- K9 Mail // email
- andOTP // 2-FA app (with export functionality)
- Maps.me // offline maps
- Termux // best terminal with ability to do shortcuts for command on homescreen
- NewPipe // youtube
- OmniNotes // notes app
- OpenKeychain // PGP
- Signal // messenger
- Telegram // messegner with bot feature
- Etar // calendar
- Blokada // ad-blocker
- Amaze // file manager
delete
Members
Nice, it is always interesting to hear about new apps from the f-droid store. It's pretty challenging to find the good stuff in there between the rest.
Let's see what I could add:

- AdAway: easy system-wide AdBlock via /etc/hosts
- AFWall+: simple iptables-based firewall with per app settings
- Easy xkcd: decent xkcd viewer
- Firefox Focus: minimal webbrowser which reasonably protects your privacy
- Paper: nice icon theme
- Silence: SMS app with encryption capabilities
- StreetComplete: Help OpenStreetMaps by checking and adding infos about your sorrounding area
venam
Administrators
Since everyone seems to be IM clients-hopping left and right these days, I thought it would be fun to revive this thread.

I'm not a big phone user myself so I'd prefer to stand aside and read your opinions on new recommendations or updates on the previous post you made if you already replied to this thread.
jolia
Long time nixers
long time android user here, i decided to left google ecosystem few months back.

i decided to go on with lineage on my xiaomi 5x

here is the list of apps i am using:

* aurora store
* f-droid
* firefox focus
* tor browser
* ultrasonic (music player subsonic api)
* transistor (radio)
* newpipe (youtube++)
* pro guitar tuner
* feeder (rss)
* slide (reddit)
* signal
* termux
* protonmail
* osmand~
* lte cleander
* hacker's keyboard
* forecastie
* recorder
* file explorer
* gallery
* camera

i don't do much on my phone, only text, calls, bit scrolling but that's it. no notification about apps.

i might buy a new one when this one will die or even before.

i would go with librem, pinephone or /e/, what do you guys think about those?
mcol
Nixers
(19-01-2021, 06:31 AM)jolia Wrote: i don't do much on my phone, only text, calls, bit scrolling but that's it.

*has giant list of apps*

How you finding lineage? I got a pinephone last Spring and have set it up a few times since then (mostly UBports and mobian) but so far it's still not really a daily driver. Fun to play around on though. If you need a phone for normal use then I'd look elsewhere :>)