What are you working on? - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
(07-08-2021, 11:53 AM)zge Wrote: I just finished cleaning up a IRC library I wrote for (GNU) AWK a few years ago, and published it here: https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/irc.awk

Would be interested in seeing what others here think of it.

This shebang is not portable:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/gawk -f irc.awk -f

Posix requires only one argument to the interpreter, more information here.
opfez
Members
(07-08-2021, 06:04 PM)seninha Wrote: This shebang is not portable:
Code:

I mean, they did specify that it was written in GNU AWK, so POSIX compatibility is already out the window.
pkal
Long time nixers
(07-08-2021, 06:04 PM)seninha Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 11:53 AM)zge Wrote: I just finished cleaning up a IRC library I wrote for (GNU) AWK a few years ago, and published it here: https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/irc.awk

Would be interested in seeing what others here think of it.

This shebang is not portable:
Code:

Didn't know about that, I can update the README and replace the shebang with a manual invocation. But as Opfez says and the README notes, the library relies on GNU AWK for now, so portability is a lesser priority.
seninha
Long time nixers
Speaking of awk, I formalized a plain text markup language I have been using for ages in a awk script that converts it to troff -ms or html.
I call it incipit, and it is heavily based on non-ASCII Unicode characters for marking things up. For example, the section character (§) is used to mark up section headers, and the bullet character (•) is used to mark up bulleted lists. Since those characters are rarely used in a text, I do not have to escape things out (in Markdown I often had to escape *s, =s and #s). Another feature is that tables are more readable with box drawing characters.
seninha
Long time nixers
I am working again on my X11 File Manager.
This time, after studying pthreads for some time, I'm using another thread to get and cache the thumbnails.
https://0x0.st/-YHg.mp4

I'm also working on the second version of my window manager, shod2. Now it can tile windows in floating containers.
Ssynicil
Registered
(13-06-2015, 08:47 AM)pizzaroll1 Wrote: I've been a bit bored recently, I don't have any ideas on what to program, rice, write on my blog, or anything. So I haven't been working on much.

Are you working on a project at the moment? The next big window manager? A CLI program that solves a problem everyone has? A shell script that does something vaguely useful? Post it here and get some feedback!

I've been trying to increase my knowledge on computers and have began running linux (more specifically the Ubuntu distribution) through a virtual machine.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
(30-09-2021, 04:36 AM)Ssynicil Wrote: I've been trying to increase my knowledge on computers and have began running linux (more specifically the Ubuntu distribution) through a virtual machine.

Pretty cool to have someone that's new to the world of Linux here ! Enjoy your adventure ;)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
I decided to make my email stack more robust, so I built a secondary mail server to queue up mails in the event that my primary server goes down.
Turns out, it's super easy with opensmtp ! I did that an automate it in a couple hours, and as I got some spare time, I setup spamd on both MX servers, and synchronized them together.

Man I love the OpenBSD software stack.
freem
Nixers
(30-09-2021, 04:36 AM)Ssynicil Wrote: I've been trying to increase my knowledge on computers and have began running linux (more specifically the Ubuntu distribution) through a virtual machine.

Nice! Welcome, and do not hesitate to join us on IRC for chatting! At first, our words won't make much sense to you, but if you ask us for explanations, you'll learn stuff faster than by exploring yourself.. or might go lost in one of the rabbit holes... which happens to me regularly, even :)

Not related to softwares, but I'm trying to do the drawing for a desktop case for my mini-ITX motherboard. With an ATX psu, which would have slots for 6 sata HDD, able to take a GPU in the PCIe slot, all that printable in the reasonable volume of 20cm x 25cm x 20 cm.
Old project (around 3 years, maybe older), fairly easy, but required to put some time in it (time in the printer, time in learning CAD, and time to draw the stuff), I'd dare say I finally got a placement to avoid assembling junctions, so maybe I can do even better...
pyratebeard
Long time nixers
(01-10-2021, 02:11 PM)z3bra Wrote: I decided to make my email stack more robust, so I built a secondary mail server to queue up mails in the event that my primary server goes down.
Turns out, it's super easy with opensmtp ! I did that an automate it in a couple hours, and as I got some spare time, I setup spamd on both MX servers, and synchronized them together.

Man I love the OpenBSD software stack.

This sounds great, and it's always nice when things like this turn out to be easier than anticipated.

The most recent project that I have been working on is migrating my standalone and Docker container online services to LXC. I have used a combination of drist(1) and make(1) to manage and configure (almost) everything. It is still a work in progress but so far everything seems to be running well.