Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
xero
Long time nixers
i like this idea.

"view new posts" and "search" are the options i use the most frequently
acg
Members
(07-12-2016, 01:30 PM)xero Wrote: "view new posts" and "search" are the options i use the most frequently

Yeah, same happens here. Most of the links are barely used up there. I'd add a link to the podcast, whether on top or at bottom.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
venam
Administrators
I've implemented it.
Let's try for a few days and tell me what you think.
rocx
Members
Doesn't really help when the user control panel is on the bottom, personally. I liked the old way better. If you want the activities there, how about trying community-related stuff on a new line and the forum "tools" (for lack of a better word) on the top?
venam
Administrators
(08-12-2016, 01:08 PM)rocx Wrote: Doesn't really help when the user control panel is on the bottom, personally.
Was the user panel used that frequently?
rocx
Members
(08-12-2016, 01:10 PM)venam Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 01:08 PM)rocx Wrote: Doesn't really help when the user control panel is on the bottom, personally.
Was the user panel used that frequently?

Not that frequently. It took me a while to find it again if I did need it.
venam
Administrators
(08-12-2016, 01:21 PM)rocx Wrote: Not that frequently. It took me a while to find it again if I did need it.
Does that also accounts for the Members list, the stats, and help page?
rocx
Members
(08-12-2016, 01:27 PM)venam Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 01:21 PM)rocx Wrote: Not that frequently. It took me a while to find it again if I did need it.
Does that also accounts for the Members list, the stats, and help page?

No. What I'm trying to say is that this is a radically different change than most other PHPBB-based forums and it's bound to throw more than some people off.
venam
Administrators
(08-12-2016, 01:50 PM)rocx Wrote: No. What I'm trying to say is that this is a radically different change than most other PHPBB-based forums and it's bound to throw more than some people off.
I totally get the point.
Let's leave it some days and then we'll switch back.
acg
Members
User CP makes sense at top, can't say the same for Members or Stats. As for Activities, found it useful there, just not sure if I'd be constantly using it as that thread is not being updated regularly.
argonaut · musician · developer · writer · https://www.betoissues.com
venam
Administrators
Ok, I've moved user CP at the top.
wsaile
Members
This might seem a bit trivial, but I think it would look good aesthetically to add a vertical line to the right of help or remove the one to the left of members.
venam
Administrators
(10-12-2016, 08:24 PM)wsaile Wrote: This might seem a bit trivial, but I think it would look good aesthetically to add a vertical line to the right of help or remove the one to the left of members.
Good, point, I didn't notice this at first.
jkl
Long time nixers
May I suggest to use a viewport/zoom level meta tag so my mobile "phone" gets the layout right?

Also, sometimes the "Post reply" button disappears on the device, I need to rotate it and rotate it back to get it.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(14-12-2016, 02:21 PM)jkl Wrote: May I suggest to use a viewport/zoom level meta tag so my mobile "phone" gets the layout right?
Also, sometimes the "Post reply" button disappears on the device, I need to rotate it and rotate it back to get it.
The mobile responsiveness and layout is something we need to work on.
I'll add it to the TODO list for the vacations.
xero
Long time nixers
i like the new changes, except the footer links are a different color than the header ones.
jkl
Long time nixers
Broken UI for polls you haven't participated in yet:
http://i.imgur.com/8RJC65y.png

Fixed after voting.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(05-01-2017, 11:46 AM)jkl Wrote: Broken UI for polls you haven't participated in yet:
http://i.imgur.com/8RJC65y.png

Fixed after voting.
I think I've fixed it.
Anyone can confirm?
jkl
Long time nixers
How can we check that without creating new polls?

--
venam
Administrators
(05-01-2017, 12:28 PM)jkl Wrote: How can we check that without creating new polls?
You can undo your vote.
jkl
Long time nixers
No, I can't.

--
hades
Long time nixers
I'll play around with the stylesheet and see if I can make the site play better on mobile when i get home and in front of a computer tomorrow. If i come up with something that fixes mobile, ill send it to venam.
push-f
Members
Hey folks, I just registered here because I wanted to see profiles,
which this forum disallows for not logged in users.

After registering I discovered that other users can see if I am online and what
page I am viewing and that there is no way to disable this.

Making profile pages inaccessible to visitors only inconveniences visitors
and drives up registrations. In addition the lack of a status visibility option
might turn away privacy conscious users.
venam
Administrators
Hello 1848,
welcome to the forums.
You've raised some good points I hadn't considered, thanks for that.
I made the profile viewing available for guests and removed the information about what users are viewing at a particular time from their profile.
I've left the online status as is for now.
push-f
Members
Hi venam. Thank you very much for replying so quickly and addressing my main concerns.

While I like the default theme (Blank), I've noticed some issues with it:

* Thread pages contain no link to the forum in which the thread was posted.
* There is no indication for edited posts.
* There is no indication for stickied threads.
* The black border around posts looks bad, a more subtle gray like #b1b1b1 would look better.
venam
Administrators
(13-02-2018, 12:40 PM)1848 Wrote: * Thread pages contain no link to the forum in which the thread was posted.
Good idea, I've added it.

(13-02-2018, 12:40 PM)1848 Wrote: * There is no indication for edited posts.
I'd rather not add that, I don't see the utility and it leaves the time for someone to correct their post without any bias that it'll show it as edited.

(13-02-2018, 12:40 PM)1848 Wrote: * There is no indication for stickied threads.
No there's no indication, for the same reason as above. But again, there's probably only 2 or 3 sticky threads in the whole forums.

(13-02-2018, 12:40 PM)1848 Wrote: * The black border around posts looks bad, a more subtle gray like #b1b1b1 would look better.
We've discussed the colorscheme extensively. We decided for something that contrasts well and that can work when zooming the page.
You can try the "night mode" if you're in a dark room.

I'm still open to adding more colorschemes if you build one, no issues with that, I'd be super glad to do so.

As far as the search for new posts and threads is concerned I'd rather leave this as a feature for the members.
push-f
Members
There is not much activity on this forum (which is fine). The search links in
the navigation however do not accommodate for this. The New Posts and Today's
Posts searches often have no results. I therefore think that they should be
replaced by a Last Posts page listing the 20 last active threads.

Could you elaborate on why you want to prevent visitors from searching?

Side note: The New Posts search sometimes doesn't work.
acg
Members
(14-02-2018, 12:27 PM)1848 Wrote: I therefore think that they should be

Sounds like a good idea.
venam
Administrators
(14-02-2018, 12:27 PM)1848 Wrote: There is not much activity on this forum (which is fine). The search links in
the navigation however do not accommodate for this. The New Posts and Today's
Posts searches often have no results. I therefore think that they should be

Could you elaborate on why you want to prevent visitors from searching?

In my opinion I think there should be no difference or bias for any thread posted on the forums, be it old or new, they're all valid topics of discussion. That applies twice as much for guests.

As far as the the New Posts and Today's Posts are concerned, I think they are ok for persons who have accounts so that they can follow up on the discussions they are currently having and reply to them.

It's debatable though, I'm open for new ideas.

(14-02-2018, 12:27 PM)1848 Wrote: I therefore think that they should be

That would work, even to keep the discussion flowing. I have no clue how to implement it within mybb so it needs a bit more research.

Thanks for the inputs.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Another way to go would be to replace "today's" with "this week's".
I do agree that due to the activity we have, leaving such posts only one before they "disappear" probably cuts the discussions a bit. 7 rolling days should leave plenty of time to everyone to share their opinion!

For the "new posts", I don't use it at all... To me it.just happens to be like "today's post", with less posts (and that is not a lot!). Maybe it would make more sense though if we change the filters.

The thing that bother me most, to be honest, is the delay to make search... I suck at searching (and I type like i have no fingers...), so having to wait 30 seconds whenever I make a typo makes me mad... But maybe that is just me :)